Robotics Workshop: Mars
Next date: 2nd Sept 2017
What to expect
- 5 hours of pure creativity and fun.
- The option to keep the robots they create!
- Led by professional educators: Dr Frank Ivins & Dr James Lambert.
- No more than 5 students per tutor.
- Learning, inspiration and fun!
- A dedicated page of activities for parents and kids after the workshop.
Children take robots apart to learn how they work. Then they build their own! Our activities encourage imaginative problem solving in a relaxed environment.
Everyone gets a fun introduction to coding to bring their personal creations to life. We use the Crumble micro-controller, no experience necessary.
Our workshop is only the start of their journey. If you're keen to explore robotics at home with your child then for an extra £40 they can bring their creation home. Parents love this part!
These carefully crafted workshops are full of hands-on, fun activities. We spark a child's enthusiasm for building (and breaking!) things and solving puzzles.
We're going to break things, fix them and rebuild them. Learning can and should be messy.
Our workshops are designed to encourage experimentation and creativity, we want to inspire children to be independent learners.
We have a dedicated activities page so that parents can explore coding and robotics with their kids after the workshop.
A fun approach to coding
We introduce students to the Crumble's visual programming language. It's a great way to pick up the fundamentals without getting lost in details.
The crumble language is very similar to sketch which some children may have already seen.
Playful coding is a wonderful activity parents can enjoy with their children.
Q: What do I need to bring?
A: Only a packed lunch. We provide laptops and all the necessary equipment.
Q: What are the pickup/drop-off times?
A: 15 minutes before and after the workshops.
Q: What level of coding experience is expected of students?
A: None at all. This workshop is for children who are new to coding but love making things.
Q: What is included in the price?
A: If you choose to purchase the programmable robot at checkout your child will bring that home, it will be a programmable robot similar to one of these. Also included is a small radio controlled toy which will be taken apart during the workshop, they won't bring it home because it will be in pieces! Finally a comprehensive set of instructional videos and example files will be available online after the workshop so students and parents can explore robotics at home!
Q: What about food?
A: Please bring a packed lunch. We will take about 20 minutes for a break and a bite to eat about 2 hours into the workshop.
Q: What is the format for the day?
A: We don't want to ruin the surprise, but if you must know
- A full teardown of a radio controlled toy. Finishing with students reassembling them and bringing them to life with a robotic controller chip.
- Coding. the children will learn to steer their creations through a variety of tasks.
- Engineering challenge! Students build add-ons to their robots to complete a challenge. Add arms, a scoop. whatever your imagination suggests.
- Home time.
Q: Are your tutors all DBS checked?
Q: I have more questions.